1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Of The People

Discussion in 'Steve's Thoughts (The Developer Forum)' started by dirkgently, May 23, 2015.

1. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    How will popular movements, unrest, and political situations created by circumstances and not individual characters be handled? One can imagine, for example, millennial apocalyptic movements forming in response to the Xyl reappearing, and different characters taking different positions in relation to them...

(EDIT: I might have stuck this in the wrong place, apologies if so!)

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Hey DG! Yeah, for some reason I didn't notice this here, and then I saw how old it was. I feel bad, because it's really core to the gameplay and design.

In Imperia, even more so than even games like Crusader Kings, characters are the stars of the show. They have personalities, goals, ambitions, traits, and motivations that are driven both internally (through traits and personality) and externally (by the situation currently faced). Factions will play a huge part as well, with most characters belonging to a faction, and most not belonging to the Order of the Sun (your faction). How you manage characters will be a huge part of the game, since you will not have a lot of 'direct power' but more 'indirect power'.

For example, if you want to increase the development of your navy, but you have few worlds that are capable of building the spaceyards to build the ships, you will have to pass an Edict to promote military development on a planet, but if the viceroy in charge is a pacifist, that's not going to happen unless you are very powerful, they have sworn an alliance to you, or a few other things. However, you can find a war-mongering viceroy and put them in charge of the planet, and they may very well build the spaceyards themselves! You can also (when you are more powerful) request that certain things be built for the good of the Empire.

You can also set up a planet so that it naturally gravitates to military development (investing in military research, investing in heavy manufacturing and high-tech sectors, etc.) If you are willing to pay for the development from Imperia coffers, most viceroys will be happy to allow you to develop certain industries of a planet, but it is really, really expensive to do this and is not recommended as a long-term strategy (think 'zoning grants'. Of course, the viceroy may take the grants and not build what is asked... which creates problems of their own!

And if you decide to remove or kill them, who are their allies? Will characters have to make a choice between backing you or another ally who they are closer to? You may have to deal with runaway systems or even provinces if you piss off the wrong province governor. There's a lot to consider, but character interaction is THE primary game system.

Hope that answers your questions....

P.S. Interesting idea about the Xyl factions.... may have to stew that over...

-Steve

3. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    Glad you like the idea - I think the alien invasion will feel that much more real if it has visible effects on Imperial society beyond simply blowing bits of it up. I mean, governors would obviously become more cooperative in the face of an alien invasion, so to plausibly maintain the tension between what you want to do and what your underlings want to do that makes up the meat of the game, you need new sources of tension.

What is the scope for characters without administrative positions? Will there be planetary pools of 'landless' characters, from which new governors, generals, etc. can be raised?