1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates on .411 (i.e. What's In The Lab)

Discussion in 'Steve's Thoughts (The Developer Forum)' started by Texashawk, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    So I've been up coding for about 3 hours before I go to bed, and I think I've made a few relatively simple changes that will nonetheless fundamentally change the way you play Imperia:

1) The idea of planet Edict experience (XP)
    2) A leveling of all the planets, so that there are no 'OMIGOD' situations right off
    3) Lowered costs for just about everything
    4) A consistent, fixed negative popular support modifier

So these 4 things, taken together, suddenly make for a much more interesting game! Why? Let's explore:

1) With Edict experience, a planet can add a small amount to their ADM Multiplier each month that they are involved in an Edict, regardless of planet, system, or sector capital. Over time, even small planets can build enough of a multiplier that they can be effective, as long as they are contributing something to an Edict. This makes more planets more useful over the long run, and adds to the effectiveness of putting money into your government sector.

2) By leveling all the planets, you as Emperor can concentrate more on a grand strategy and less on pissing on little fires all over your Empire. While some people may find this fun, many may not. Having a quiet setup where no planets are much in the red, nobody's about to starve, and most everybody is employed is a better starting point, especially for people who are new to the game.

3) Now that you have a lack of forest fires, you should be encouraged to DO SOMETHING! Less expensive Edicts will allow the use of 1) above, and allow you to truly be engaged with your empire instead of going bankrupt after the second starbase. This is important, because of....

4) With a fixed negative modifier, you have to move your empire ahead. No longer can you just stay static and keep hitting next turn. If you aren't actively expanding, growing, improving, and pleasing your people, they will not settle for status quo any longer. Now, it's not about planets rioting - the Unrest levels are not affected - but they are less tolerant of 'settling' for the Empire they now have. It is your job to grow and stretch your empire across the quadrant - the first and second 'X's should finally be a valid way to play now.

Very excited about these changes. Look for a test release tomorrow!

-Steve

2. Zireael

Zireael Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Poland
    Like all except 4) so much!

3. VineFynn

VineFynn Viceroy-in-Training

Australia
    Hmm. Perhaps instead of a static modifier affecting popular support, inaction/indecisiveness can lead to a drop in certain stats, or perhaps direct impacts on the opinions of various members of government close to you. An increase in corruption, even. Anything that might have lead-on effects to popular support, but not simply be a somewhat nonsensical static modifier that is bound to draw complaints.

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    I know it seems crazy, but the game plays so much better with the change. I've played this game literally thousands of times now since last year and this was one of the first times that I felt like it was truly 'fun' as opposed to 'finding stuff'. People are not content, taken as a large mass, to stagnate. They don't settle for the status quo. Consider the US Congress - approval ratings were in the single digits at one point, precisely because it was considered a stagnant, do-nothing Congress. Now, this doesn't mean people were rioting in the streets (so no change in unrest is tied to this) but they are unhappy about the direction of their country/leaders/global standing, which was reflected in their approval rating. You already get a 2-year bonus to reflect people letting you 'find your way' which still more than offsets this change. Since the planets are in much better shape, without a 'gravity modifier' you would quickly shoot up to 90% Posup since your planets are not starving, they're better planets, and I also gave the viceroy economic code a pass so they're generally smarter about not letting their planets go broke.

-Steve

Campo likes this.
  5. VineFynn

VineFynn Viceroy-in-Training

Australia
    That's a fair cop, then. I certainly like the other changes, that's for sure.