1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need More Documentation

Discussion in 'Imperia Feedback' started by bmorris2, Mar 3, 2015.

1. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Hi there:
    I think there is a definite need for more documentation or things to be put into some form of FAQ. There are lots of acronyms which are not explained or unclear, things which might appear to the uninformed as counter-intuitive, and just confusion on what does what where. If there could be an effort made for a little bit towards creating some documentation (or in game help or both), I think it would be a big help.

Just my $.02

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    I agree. There is a wiki at imperia5x.wikidot.com but it is fairly out of date. That's one reason why I try to give detailed explanations of game systems when people have questions. There are actually a tremendous amount of ways already to get things done in the game but I fear that many people don't use them because they don't know about them! Intel being a prime example, as well as some of the Edicts and some of the new ways you can use your military in .410 and up. One day... :) in the meantime, please ask any specific questions you have!

Steve

3. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    You hit why I'm suggesting doing some documentation, we don't know what we don't know. It's hard to ask specific questions about something when we really don't know what we should be asking, which is why documentation would be really helpful. I mean, what do all the acronym's mean like MDL or ADL, etc... I know Nationalist, Pragmatist, and Tyrannical numbers help get stuff done, but I don't really know what they are. There is a ton of stuff like that which should be documented as it is added.

Which I guess is the reason I'm suggesting spending some time doing documentation. It would also make it easier for new people to understand the game rather than flopping along like a fish out of water. I'm doing stuff, but I don't really know what the stuff does. I know it's not as cool as actually working on the game, but I think it would be easier to stop and do some now and then just continue to do it as stuff is added rather than waiting to do it all at the end.

I'm only saying this because the game is starting to get frustrating to the point of stopping playing because I know what very little is. Like you said, the documentation is seriously out of date and I've not reference material.

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Tell you what. I agree. I'm off Thursday. I'll do nothing but update the wiki and add a true tutorial walk through. As you say, coding is far more fun than writing docs...,

FYI, if anyone wants to contribute to the wiki, please let me know. That would be a huge help!

Steve

5. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    That would be fantastic. Really. I'm just getting to the point where I want to be past clicking and seeing what happens. It'd be nice to do something besides "click and pray". :)

6. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    I'm guessing you got busy on Thursday eh? :)

7. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    I did. My wife and I had to take care of some stuff, and I have big changes coming up at work - that's why I haven't been around much. The good news is that tomorrow I'm off, and longer term I will be able to work on Imperia on a regular schedule. I will actually post on this later today!

Steve