1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperia: the ground troops

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, Feb 1, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello everyone

In this thread we will post pictures and info about Imperia's ground troops.

First, let's talk a bit about how ground troops are created in the game. It is the planetary governor that raises the troops according to his/ her needs. You might force him to raise more troops, as an emperor may, but most of the time it will not be necessary.

Troops are of two kinds: infantry division and mecha division. (roughly equivalent to motorized/ mechanized/ airborne and armored divisions, if you'd like to have a modern equivalent). Each troop's equipment is determined by the level of funding: an infantry division with poor funding will be only motorized (even partially): it will be able to fight in defensive battles, say, but its lack of transport and further equipment will severely hamper its offensive capabilities. A lavishly funded infantry division will have the best power-suits, and the best transports: it will be able to successfully lead planetary invasions. Accordingly, the equipment of a mecha division will also be directly related to the funding: it will range from basic mecha to fearsome amphibious armed-to-the-teeth human-machine-fusionned models.

Each division icon will reflect both the type of the division and the level of equipment.

Let's have a quick glance at the imperial troops (work in progress).

[​IMG]

Here is the average imperial trooper with its powerful combat-suit. He is armed with a top-mounted kinetic gun and a small blue laser. On each shoulder are some fragmentation grenades while there is also provision for a back-mounted mortar/ missile launcher. On the back are the large radiator louvres (needed in case of fighting in vacuum, when the cooling becomes problematic).

[​IMG]

Above is the same imperial trooper close to the low-level mecha. Although compact, well profiled and many times updated, this mecha has been the mainstay of the imperial armored forces for more than a century. Only second-rate or reserve troops still use this unmanned mecha. It features a large coil gun that fires guided rounds, and a turret-mounted green laser. Some more guided missiles might be carried in two small bays in the upper front part of the hull. Not how the mech has been further equipped with manipulator arms in its later versions.

Upgrading to a latest model should be the first priority of any serious army.

take care all,
    P.

2. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Really like the art design seen so far.Will the Emperor have his own Sardaukar guard.

3. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director

Greece
    thank you Ashbery !

We are trying something different with Imperia, both in scope, perspective and in graphics :)
    About a 'praetorian' guard, well, I sort of thought about it -since I read quite a few books on Rome, Byzantium and ancient history in general to get in the mood for the game. But there must be a limit to 'complexification' (sic): if we keep on adding stuff, we start loosing focus !

Catering for an imperial guard with its leadership, own agenda and forces, on a monthly (turn) basis and as a separate entity is at the moment not considered. What is considered though, and has already been factored in, is a series of events taking root in your personal guard. As the praetorian guard gained influence and became a major force in caesar-making during the times of Rome, so a tyrannical rule will very likely generate events linked to your 'Sardaukar' guard -but not always in a way you will like, you have been warned !

P.

4. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director

Greece
    Hey all,

I had enough 3D for the day. My back aches and I want to do some interface work for the space battles. Thus, I post below a partially textured imperial trooper. Everything below the waist is not properly textured yet (the top-mounted gun neither).

[​IMG]

Hope you like it !

I will of course not detail everything like that (I am not mad), but some iconic graphics need to be sharp for PR purposes.

P.