1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperia faction design

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, Jun 30, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello everybody !

Long time no post -I have been very busy with planetary traits, working hand-in-hand with Steve to make the planets of Imperia unique. But enough of database editing, back to the pen at last!

In this thread I will share with you the design process that concerns the factions of Imperia.

In the discussions we had the last few days with Steve, we talked a lot about factions. What are factions ? Well, factions are ideological groups/ families that exist across civilizations. They are made up of a basic tenant/ idea, then some secondary ideas -that might change/ evolve over time. In any case, the basic tenet of a faction will remain so (whether it is the fact it is based on faith, technology, military, capitalism, anarchy or other strong idea) -just like the picture. This way, we have factions with identity that also have the capability to change and adapt. Some factions will disappear or appear during the game, also !

So I attempt with the faction design to nail the basic idea behind the faction itself. Come have a look below:

[​IMG]
    My guess (and hope) is that you can at a glance spot which factions are based on say technology, or faith. Some might be based on both ! Some factions are outright not human, but you will have understood that. This above is a partial view of the potential factions. Steve will delve into more detail in another post.

The strength of the system we currently plan on using is that it will have both an identity that is useful for game purposes and the capability to be different every game and evolve over time.

P.

dirkgently likes this.
  2. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Looks great but why do the capitalist faction have military insignia.

3. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    Well, my assumption is that even with corporate wars a thing of the past and the military control having gone back to the state, a certain nostalgia for military things has remained among the free market worshipers. Corporate structure does look a lot like the military, doesn't it ? [ "the chief executive officer (CEO) is thought of as the highest ranking officer in a company while the president is second in command."]

I myself think that sometime in the future, large companies will even create their own religion -and usher us into the age of agio-corporatism !

P.

4. nadia911

nadia911 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Argentina
    Great job Pavlos, you're a great artist !! The Factions remind me of the old game Alpha Centauri ... many years ago

More !!! ;)

5. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    Great stuff. I especially like the AIs and the Imperialist Faction A and Technophile Faction C portraits.