1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factions and Fashion in Imperia (re-post)

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, May 8, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello everybody, old and new !

This is mostly a reprint of a lost post concerning Imperial fashion. I lost all the text I wrote so it will be shorter.

In Imperia you do not only deal with planets and ships -the fifth 'X' (eXist) and the power games imply that you will interact a lot with people in the game. And those people have names, personalities and... faces ! So, how do they look like, those viceroys and governors? Why ? And why does it matter ?

The men and women of power like luxury, and as such will dress richly and follow the court fashion and etiquette - this, the closer to the imperial core worlds they get. Such people like to project their power by diverse means, clothing and body-shaping being two important ones.

[​IMG]

At the start of the game, the imperial fashion is heavily inspired by 16th and 17th european court fashion, mixed with indo-pakistani elements. This might seem odd to some of you, but everybody knows fashion goes in cycles, and the clothing of the monarchs of Europe at that time is still a perfect example of awe-instilling accoutrement. You get silk doublets, neck ruffs, the whole thing, mixed up and compressed. Of course, holograms are used for communication, and nanofibers and micromachines are included in the fabric.

The military Imperial caste has remained attached to its pseudo- Napoleonic/ Nelsonian roots, as it did for the last centuries. Its stability shows well how its own thought has fossilized and needs reshaping.

[​IMG]

Now, many ask why should I bother with all this ? What is the point ? It's not as if you can play dolls and dress up your emperor and such. Well, it sort of matters because you deal with people and people have to be dressed. Furthermore, men and women who control planets and solar systems will not be humble, but will flout their power in any way they can -their clothes being one way.
    Very well, you might say, but then why then the retro looks ? Well, why not ? Do we really want to communicate with people dressed in tunics and robes, or with plastic shiny clothes ? See how the eighties are the rage right now, who can tell what will be fashionable in several centuries ?

Look at how Mobutu was dressed, and be very afraid !

Other posts will follow, to the great sorrow of Bmorris :)

take care all,
    P.

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    If you have ever seen the series 'Firefly', that's a good foundation of what I imagined a tattered, wavering remnant of humanity trying to stay afloat many light years from home. I absolutely love how Pavlos has taken a future aristocratic society and blended the styles and technology so well.

-Steve

3. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Ok, since it's been stated earlier that everything has a purpose, what's the purpose of the things in the picture? What do they bring to the game?

4. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello again, mister Bmorris,

Straight to the point, as usual. I will be straight too, even though sometimes my mind wanders. For instance, I am seeing again Twin Peaks with my wife, and I like the omnipresent dark music. Ah, wait, what ?

Two things:
    - one: these are a few of your starting emperors, that's why you see them in their entirety.
    - two: when Dan O'Bannon was designing the Nostromo for Alien, he was taking in account the thrust axis and the center of gravity of the ship. Did it matter ? To him yes, to you, the viewer, no. But it contributed making a fine-looking ship. It was his way of thinking.

You might consider it a waste of time, I consider it immersion for the designer, and that's me. If it works in the little bits, then it scales out well.

I share with you those little bits of design to show you the way the thing incrementally builds up. Keep your cool BMorris, you will see how it all makes sense when I add other factions in the thread.

If you want, tell me what you are wearing right now (if anything), to get me inspired !

P.

5. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Indeed.Look at Moo2,it had human advisers wearing science,spy and military uniforms.It added nothing to the gameplay but it's the little touches that made it great.Stardrive2 has similar mechanics but lacking those touches make it less immersive.

6. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Oh man, I wasn't losing my cool and if that's how I came across, please accept a sincere apology. I wasn't saying it was a waste of time because as I've said before I'm a fan of the artwork (the new lander is awesome). I was just wondering if we get to see things like the defense drones in play.

I would think that it might be interesting to not start with the Imperial Medallion but make it something you have to find (hello quest). Or make it a possibility that it gets stolen (or at risk of it).

Again, I'm just wanting to see things in play. :) And again, seriously sorry if I came off as losing my cool.