1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

... explore new stellar systems (and planets?)

Discussion in 'How do I...' started by pavlosg, Feb 27, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    Hey !

I have some stellar systems within reach of a planet's starbase (inside the green circle), but I do not know how to send probes or else to explore them. I guess that once I have explored a star system and figured out what planets there are around, I can scan the planets one by one.

Can anyone tell me how to perform stellar system 'discovery' and planet's scouting/ scanning ? What do I need ? What are the edicts involved and do you have any tips ?

P.

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    To discover new systems, you have to do a system explore Edict. You don't have to be in range (that's a change I made) to explore - these are considered unmanned probes. When you have fleets, you will be able to send an exploration fleet that can do the job in a much shorter time, but will require that the system be within stellar mission range of a station.

Planet scouting requires that the system be within stellar range of a station (mission mode - green circle). To scout a planet, add a 'survey planet' Edict on the planet. If you are not within stellar range of a station, you can build an Exploration station within the system. This is an automated station built by automated drones, and as such does not require a range, but it takes longer to build and is more expensive. Once an Exploration station is built within the system, you can survey planets. Once planets are surveyed to a 'full' status, you can colonize or outpost them. I am making a change to .413 to allow multiple levels to be surveyed at a time depending on the empire's sensor technology level in one pass.

As far as tips - now that you can expand the 'reach' of stations, it may be easier and faster to expand a starbase or exploration station in order to put a system within reach. I would not scan every planet, since the larger ones can take time, but ones that you might need. Do you need minerals? (hint: yes, you do) Are you looking for luxury minerals to placate your pops and increase your economy? Look for barren, radiated, and volcanic worlds for these. Need to expand? Look to water and terran worlds. For now, Jovian worlds are useless but I'm trying to think of a way to make them somewhat worthwile.

-Steve

3. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director

Greece
    hey Steve

thanks for the info... alas I am still unable to find the explore edict. What are the pre-requisites ? Where do you find the edict -the target or the potential exploration source planet ? I am looking for that edict within a space-base equipped planet edict list, but no luck. This is frustrating !

So, you should colonize very low hab planets, in order to start a kind of mining colony there ? Could there be a 'mining colony' special settlement, clearly geared towards extracting minerals without trying to make life comfy for the miners ? I am thinking of Outland -the movie with Sean Connery where there are mines on the surface of Io.

Jovian planets are the prime sources of energy -that is, the fusion isotopes of hydrogen and helium. You can find Deuterium in the water of terran planets as well, and initiate deuterium-tritium or deuterium-deuterium nuclear fusion -but this generates neutrons, that will very quickly corrode metal. Indeed, I read something about fusion-based propulsion neutron streams degrading metal alloys mechanical properties by as much as 90% in a year. Here is where the jovian planets kick-in: they have large amounts of helium-3. Helium 3's nuclear fusion reactions do not generate any neutrons, and are thus considered a much more viable alternative to deuterium fusion cycle engines.

For the physicians in the crowd, read this , and this.

It is a sad thing, to my opinion, that energy does not figure as a commodity / 'material' in the game, because energy would be the limiting factor of future civilizations. Jovians are great providers of energy, although the smaller planets will be cheaper to exploit than the large ones (less gravity to fight).

Alternatively, you may use the jovian's moons: those large planet's moons may add up to several small planets (mostly ice and silicates). But that would also require more coding.

P.

4. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director

Greece
    ... I gave it a bit more thought while shaving:

- edicts for jovians:
    - fuel extractors (or alike): those are large unmanned factories that float in the planet's atmosphere. They extract useful fusion fuel isotopes from the upper atmosphere and thus provide a bonus to all the system's industries. There may be several steps of such extractors

- fuel stations: by harvesting more efficient fusion fuel and confining it into anti-matter bottles, these stations increase the ships/ fleets ranges starting from a system containing such station

- planetary fusion lasers: the largest planetary weapons available, these immense lasers operate exclusively around the orbit of a jovian planet -for only such planets can provide the energy necessary for their operations.

- edict for other planets:
    - remote miners (or mining station): an array of large mobile and unmanned stations that will move across the surface of the planet, extracting and refining minerals without having to go through the trouble of establishing a colony there.

[ - deep mantle mining: a very advanced system of robot diggers that will go deep to seek the more precious minerals.]

- I think we might need and intermediate 'terraforming' thing before the terraforming proper: I feel that the last process is an endeavor of colossal proportions, and 12 ADM is a bit too light. I like the stellar terraforming though, as ultimate process.
    Hence propose a lesser kind of environmental tinkering: genetic adaptation. By tweaking genes, you can adapt flora and fauna to the worlds' environment, increasing thus its habitability. It is still something vast and needs an edict, but it does not involve huge reactors, nanomachines and the perturbations a planetary terraforming implies. Then, for instance, genetic adaptation could cost something like 10 ADM, terraforming 18, stellar terraforming current 30. Of course, the lower the cost, the smaller the habitability improvement.

P.

5. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    P,

The 'survey planet' Edict is on the planet you want to explore. Remember that it has to be within mission range of a starbase or exploration station. If it is, and you don't see that option, either it's already fully surveyed or there's an issue.

Steve

6. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director

Greece
    ...where is the system explore edict ? That's the one I was seeking ? What do I need to get this edict displayed ?

Mister Pee.

7. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Oh! Sorry. System detail display, lower right in the system view. You may have to click on the box to bring it up.

Also changed the left click selects the systems behavior as opposed to mouse over!

Steve

8. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director

Greece
    Thanks Steve, you are a honey-bunny !

I got some grievances now, though. Yup. I do, I am the complaining type, ask my wife.
    Does it really take more than 3 years to bloody add a system to a sector ? Or the same amount of time to send some probes around a sun ? Even with an allied sector governor ? Grmpf. And that it is theory, because with my game everything ends up lasting twice as long. Not that I feel bad about it, it happens all around us now, but hell, 3 years for some bureaucracy database update, I want to emigrate on the moon ! :)

It depends on the value of the sector and how much administration is involved. Uninhabited systems should take very little time, where large ADM systems should be more complicated to integrate.

- Question: it does more sense to first add a stellar system to a sector, then to explore it, right ? Because once it is in a sector, every thing you do in it is much faster. Or am I wrong ?

No, this is something you should do, so that you can have your sector-level resources do the work instead of your empire-level. Remember: the empire ADM is very, very inefficient! It's there because you will need it, but it should be viewed as a last resort. As you get stronger and have more power, eventually empire ADM will be more efficient than any other type, but we're talking 100+ power.

- question 2: how important is the re-arranging of sectors at the beginning of the game ? It goes like this: I got this super buddy sector governor on a single-star-system sector. She loves me, I love her, she publicly supports every idiocy I say BUT she is kind of useless in that 2-planet sector. Should I re-arrange sectors so as to give her more planets to influence ? What do you say, doctor ?

Yes. And even more so when plots come into play. You want powerful sector governors who like you in positions where they can do the most good. Soon, you will be able to reassign her to a different sector (or promote her, or demote her).

P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015