1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Screenshot Thread

Discussion in 'Developer's Corner' started by Texashawk, May 6, 2015.

1. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Hey everyone!

Unlike a lot of developers, I'm never too proud to show some very early work just to show what we've been working on and with. It goes without saying that a lot of what you see will change dramatically, but it will show what Pavlos and I have been working on, so you're not left wondering what's up? I will continue to be much more active on the forums, as you see here!

Anyway, I want to show 3 different planet tests. As I said in my first 'SWS' post, we really want to focus on the realism. It's not realistic to have a water planet closest to a OB-type star, but in the first Imperia that really wasn't a consideration. Enter Pavlos and his impressive astrographical knowledge. After slapping me around the face a few times (digitally) I got religion - astro religion! :)

Note that all these screenshots are generated in 'real time' - a neat thing about Unity is that everything you see is a game object of some kind, and can be generated and destroyed at need. That means that instead of a loading 'screen', what you are seeing is generated within the 'galaxy' even though it is 2D sprites. So you can zoom seamlessly in and out of the quadrant, to stars, to planets, and never leave the galaxy mode. It's a really cool effect that wasn't really practical to do in XNA. I will post a video soon, but trust me, it's cool!

The first screenshot is of a F4 (white) star - OK for life, but not great:

[​IMG]

This is a hot star, so there is an asteroid belt and a barren planet near the sun. Farther out, different stars have 'habitable zones' that depending on other factors mean there MIGHT be a habitable planet within them. Here, there is a superearth. Nifty!

The text at the bottom is a data test to test planet generation, obviously it will not be in the final screen in this way ;-)

Here's a Class K (orange) star:

[​IMG]

Notice there are no planets close to the sun. Different stars have different chances of having planets close to or far away from their center. Also, note the ice planets far from the sun.

Last, but not least, the mighty Red Giant:

[​IMG]

Notice how much larger the star is. Giants and OB blue giants should be massive and imposing, and in Imperia they are! Here, you are more likely to have desert and lava planets. Great for energy and materials, not so great for a vacation!

That's all for the moment. Check back ofter!

-Steve

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    And here's a look at the galaxy screen. It is missing most filter functionalty, but should give you an idea of the 'look' we are going for. And yes, keyboard scrolling is now available! :-D

[​IMG]
    This is the galaxy-level view of your empire. Notice the familiar system in the center... :-D You will also see binary and (eventually trinary) stars as well. We're still working on lighting the map, but as you zoom in...

[​IMG]
    ... the background fades and you can see more details of the stars. The idea is that your province data will fade in as you enter province zoom level, and appropriate data will fade in and out depending on what level of the galaxy you are looking at. (The number in parenthesis is the planet count for testing, BTW). Our end-goal is a 'holistic' UI that depends on very few fixed panels and more 'you see what you need when you need it' functionality. That's why we're taking a lot of time with the UI with Imperia Unity.

-Steve

More to come!

3. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    I really liked the (what looked like) constellations-as-sectors system in Pavlos' mockup - I felt it gave the stars a bit more of a sense of place than simply putting them in front of a background, as in this version. Although having the map ostentatiously centre on the imperial seat feels perfect. Perhaps the two could be combined - have constellations randomly placed with systems mapped onto them (not in exactly the same way each time, to keep it interesting) and the Capitol at the centre of an Imperial Sun constellation?

On closer inspection, the presence of the drawn-on stars on the background is the element that jars with the present iteration - it makes it feel like a static background image rather than a map, whether of the Empire or of the starfield behind it. Of course, I'm always conscious that it's one thing to sit here and criticise, and quite another to make the game!

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    That's actually the eventual plan. That's sort of a placeholder. It's actually not that hard, you just have to pre-map the constellations as single game objects with child linked world positions, then translate them around the Galaxy map. I agree!

-Steve

dirkgently likes this.
  5. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    Looking great! Keep up the great work!

Texashawk likes this.
  6. moonrogue

moonrogue Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Outstanding!!

7. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Here's some .001 pre-build shots, that will be similar to what the alpha testers will work with. They should be familiar, but... different. Obviously these are not final products, and will probably change (especially the system view; we are working on the best way to show stats with iconography as a priority)

Updated galaxy view:
    [​IMG]

Updated system view:
    [​IMG]

Planet view is in but there's not much to see yet, beyond the zoomed-in planet image, but hey, you want raw, we got raw. Please note that the planets will be shown in a higher resolution format shortly:

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

-Steve

8. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    [​IMG]

Thoughts on the system-ring look?

-Steve

9. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    It seems a little redundant - it's not that pretty, and it doesn't tell you anything the presence of the planets on the screen doesn't tell you already. If it somehow illustrated how elliptical the orbits are, and whether some of them are off the plane of the system, it might add something. Perhaps you could put ticks on the line to indicate how far each planet moves in some fixed period of time. This might be over-complicating things, though.

10. moonrogue

moonrogue Alpha Tester

United States
    Agreed! Get it outta there! :D Or make it prettier/less intrusive. That's my opinion.

11. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Yep that looks fugly.

12. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Feedback is noted! We are looking at a thinner and semi-transparent version with a higher poly count; this was a test. But good stuff! :p

-Steve

13. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    [​IMG]

Now with rings! Moons coming next...

-Steve

14. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    [​IMG]

New concept for the planet screen focus. The planet will be in the center, with the Edict window on one side, leadership/empire information for the planet in the top corners, and the primary stats for the planet via iconography around a 'data wheel' centered around the planet, and the bottom panel will be a button bar to change the data inside the data wheel. Again, nothing is final. :-D

-Steve

15. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    And a cleaner system screen, in preparation for the system planet summary panels:

[​IMG]

-Steve

16. nadia911

nadia911 Alpha Tester

Argentina
    Perfect!! ;)

17. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    [​IMG]

WIP of the system view. Getting a little more familiar? :-D

-Steve

18. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    And here's a short demo video for those who aren't alpha testers to see what we're working on in motion:

Enjoy!

-Steve

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    dirkgently likes this.
  19. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Staff Member Developer Artist Forum Admin

Greece
    oh common Steve, I have to change underwear now !

Texashawk likes this.
  20. Zireael

Zireael Alpha Tester

Poland
    Hmm. If you like realism so much (so do I), how about coloring the goldilocks zone of a star in green? The ranges are nice but sometimes obscured by the star/planets/dust rings...