1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash on startup

Discussion in 'Imperia Support Center' started by ndkid, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ndkid

ndkid Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    DefaultSource Critical 3 Song playback failed. Please verify that the song is not DRM protected. DRM protected songs are not supported for creator games. A critical exception has occured in Imperia: Song playback failed. Please verify that the song is not DRM protected. DRM protected songs are not supported for creator games.
    DefaultSource Information 0 Fatal crash occurred at 2/6/2015 11:52:03 AM. Issue was: System.InvalidOperationException: Song playback failed. Please verify that the song is not DRM protected. DRM protected songs are not supported for creator games. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: An unexpected error has occurred.
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.MediaQueue.Play(Song song)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.MediaPlayer.Play(Song song)
    at Imperia.Imperia.GamePhaseManager()
    at Imperia.Imperia.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
    at Imperia.Program.Main(String[] args)
    DefaultSource Information 0 In order to help develop Imperia, please paste this log content to http://imperia.boards.net/thread/10/post-crash-logs. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Hi ndkid!

Please make sure you have Windows Media installed and that you have speakers plugged in! This error occurs when the program can't find an audio source to create a sound object.

Steve

3. ndkid

United States
    SOLVED: Crash on startup

Steve,

It's my dev laptop, it played previous versions of Imperia, and steam games (and Chapter Master, for that matter) have no problems playing sound. Just in case it needed exclusive access to the speakers, I closed another game I had running at the same time, but it didn't change the exception.

EDIT: I guess I'll try the old WIndows standby and reboot and see if that changes the behavior.

EDIT EDIT: Hunting for this error in other projects has led me to understand that by "Windows Media" you meant Windows Media Player. I give you a very-slightly-dirty look for making me install WMP to play your game (which I'd swear wasn't a requirement before, because I don't remember uninstalling it since September when I last played Imperia), but I will do this thing.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I have confirmed that WMP is installed, still same error.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ah-ha, I removed XNA when I decided I was going to develop in Unity, not XNA, and I think that means I don't have the runtimes anymore. Let me put those back in and see if that fixes it.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Yep, that was the problem! Reinstalling the XNA runtime made it happy.

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Please let me know if that works. This is a new installer and it is supposed to install those dependencies automatically, but I was tired last night when I built the install project and may not have added them. The game did install and run fine on my computer, but of course I have XNA. I'll have to double check when I get home if that is the case. Sorry for your issues!

EDIT: Thank you ndkid! I have updated the download sites with this information. I will double check the installer tonight and maybe add the OneClick as a download option as well, since I know it will install the correct dependencies.

Steve

-Steve

5. ndkid

United States
    No worries, Steve; I spend all day with my C# programmer/manager hat on, so I know the travails of late night project releases. :)

6. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    Just ran into this error, fixed it by reinstalling XNA. Thanks!